Certificate in Nonprofit Management
CERTIFICATE IN NONPROFIT MANAGEMENT COURSES
Mastering Grant Writing: How to Write a Winning Grant Proposal
|Master the fundamentals of grant writing through this highly interactive online course. Working with an expert grant writer/instructor, participants will probe and practice the basic steps of writing a successful grant proposal. Through hands-on writing exercises and case study critiques, you will learn how to shape proposal concepts; needs statements; goals, objectives and strategies; program budgets; evaluations and more. Learn from nonprofit practitioners in other cities and countries as you dialogue collectively with your instructor on a password-protected course Web site.
This intensive six-week course explores the following topics:
• Grant Writing: Getting Started.
• Anatomy of a Grant Proposal.
• Writing the Proposal, Part 1: Needs Statement, Goals and Objectives.
• Writing the Proposal, Part 2: Drafting Strategies to Meet Objectives.
• Preparing the Budget and Documenting Sustainability.
• Evaluation and Final Project Completion.
What you and your organization will gain from this course:
• Understand the multi-faceted context in which a grant proposal is both generated and reviewed/
• Research and find an appropriate funder for a given proposal.
• Develop a clear proposal outline and proposal in response to funder guidelines.
• Prepare the narrative portion of a grant proposal including: needs statement; goals and objectives; methods and design, timeline and plan for sustainability.
• Prepare a basic budget.
• Construct a basic evaluation component.
• Identify and prepare supplementary proposal materials.
Sample Syllabus - subject to change at the instructor's discretion.
Special features of this course:
• A weekly Resource Center, which provides carefully tailored readings and other resources.
• “Studio” activities offer opportunities for new and experienced practitioners to cultivate practical skills.
• Original case studies and problem-based learning activities.
• In-depth weekly discussions on the real-life challenges and opportunities of grant writing.
• A small class size of 25 participants.
This is an instructor-led course delivered entirely online. It is highly interactive and requires active participation on discussions boards and completion of assigned projects. There are no real-time class meetings. Students work at times that are convenient for them within the weekly schedule of activities. We estimate spending an average of 8 – 10 hours per week on each Certificate in Nonprofit Management course. For this reason, we highly recommend students participate in no more than two CNM courses at a time.
NOTE: This is a tech-enhanced course that requires access to Blackboard,
a course management system used by UIC. In order to complete
registration, you must submit proof of identity to secure your unique
NetID (username). More information on this process can be found on the Know More about Registering and Paying section of our Web site.