College of Business Administration
PM / Non-Credit Course
This course introduces concepts that project managers must understand to be successful in managing a project team, as well as managing more complex and demanding projects.
Who Should Register for Project Management?
This course is appropriate for all members of project teams including analysts, managers and staff. In addition, this course has been beneficial for administrative staff, assistants, business analysts, consultants, database specialists, engineers and social workers, among other industries.
In the first two sessions of the course, students will learn the basics of project management and some of the tools and techniques to help manage projects smoothly and successfully, such as:
* The essentials necessary for project success
* The stages of project management
* Defining a vision and a mission for the project
* Setting measurable objectives
* Assessing resources and constraints
* Creating and managing a project plan
* Dealing with change
This part of the course prepares any manager to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate projects of all kinds, thus reducing stress and ineffective communication while increasing efficiency and success.
In the final three sessions of the course, students will be exposed to project management practices that require both the hard skills of project management and the soft skills of constituent management, focusing on traditional project management techniques and tools as employed on complex and troubled projects. The matrix design of project teams requires frequent and concise communication to the project team members, project sponsors and interdependent project teams.
Project Management fulfills the education requirements for two Project Management Institute exams:
* The 35 hour education requirement for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam
* The 23 hour education requirement for the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certification exam
$1750 / $1400 for University of Illinois alumni, employees or students
*Subject to change
Contact Hours: 35